Michael P. Schenk, eldest son of the late Dr. and Mrs. C. Perry Schenk (Lola Margaret Gleason) was born and raised in Minnesota. He is married to the former Laura Ann Kearney and together they have three children; Michael (Virginia Neill Dean), John (Susan Elaine Allmon) and Meaghan (Jonathan Johnson), as well as grandparents to five grandsons. His interests in genealogy began in junior high school as a result of his mother’s involvement in NSDAR, he joined the National Society of Sons of the American Revolution his senior of college.
Michael received his undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota, his BSMI and MSMI from the Medical College of Georgia in 1973/1974. He is a Board-Certified Medical Illustrator. He has received numerous awards for his illustrations and photography and was inducted as a Fellow in the Association of Medical Illustrators in 2002. Mike has held positions at the University of Virginia; the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, where he started a department; the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas as an Assistant Professor in the Medical Illustration Track; and retired in 2015 as Director of Biomedical Illustration Services at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS. Over the course of his career, he has created thousands of illustrations in all scientific disciplines and has been published by every major publisher. He is credited with over six authored/co-authored anatomical/zoological atlases and textbooks in multiple editions, as well as contributor to numerous article/book chapters in various medical subspecialties. He has presented scientific material and exhibited scientific/medical visuals at various national and international venues.
- National Society Sons of the American Revolution (VPG Southern District)
- Baronial Order of the Magna Charta (Justiciar)
- Order of the Merovingian Dynasty (Secretary General)
- Order of the Crown of Charlemagne in the U.S.A. (Archivist General)
- National Society Americans of Royal Descent (Custodian General)
- Ancient Heraldic and Chivalric Order of Albion (Knight)
- Order of the Norman Conquest (Co-Founder, President General)
- Order of the Three Crusades (Curator General)
- National Gavel Society (Vice President)
- National Society Sons of the American Colonists (Governor General)
- Order of Americans of Armorial Ancestry (President General)
- National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims (Governor, MS Branch)
- Order of the Founders and Patriots of America (Deputy Genealogist General)
- Society of Descendants of Colonial Clergy (Councilor)
- General Society of the War of 1812 (Public Relations General)
- National Guild of Saint Margaret of Scotland, Inc. (President General)
- Order of Medieval Women of Consequence (3rd Vice President General)
- Descendants of Templar Knights (Co-Founder)
- Presidential Families of America (1st President General)
- National Society Sons of Colonial New England
- Military Order of the Crusades
- Sons of the Revolution
- Order of the Descendants of Colonial Physicians and Chirurgiens
- National Society of Saints and Sinners
- Sons and Daughters of the Colonial and Antebellum Bench and Bar
- The Order of the Crown in America
- General Society of Colonial Wars
- Order of the First Families of New Hampshire
- Order of Indian Wars in the United States
- Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts
- First Families of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
- First Families of Massachusetts
- Descendants of the Knights of the Garter
- Order of the Monarchs of Rheims
- Order of the Descendants of the Justiciars
- Publications include numerous medical/zoological/scientific books, chapters and articles.
- Through his gateway ancestors Reverend Peter Bulkeley, William Torrey and Audrey Barlow, all of Massachusetts, Michael is a member of over forty lineage societies and orders and has served as an officer to many of them. His pride and joy are assisting societies with designing their regalia and graphic and branding needs.
- Michael is a BSA-Eagle Scout and National Order of the Arrow-Vigil Honor member; he continues to volunteer in Scouting activities as well as other youth-based organizations and educational programs as he has for the past fifty years.
Michael’s interests besides genealogical research of family members includes: topical stamp and coin collecting of ancestors, places they occupied and events they participated in, Celtic and Medieval art/architecture/sculpture, international travel, participation in illustration, scientific and fine art societies.